Standard Device vs COVID Airway All-In-One Tracheostomy Device Reduces Insertion Trauma, Infection, Ventilator Time, Medical Waste
Standard introducer device
The standard introducer (blue device):
- is difficult to insert requiring high force and friction applied to the patient’s tissues;
- tracks microbes in, shown on the right side of the first insert;
- compromises the airway and bronchoscopic view as the trachea is forcefully depressed repeatedly, shown in the second insert;
- is removed once the tissue is dilated, then the tracheostomy tube must be inserted, again requiring high force and friction applied to the patient’s tissues, not shown.
The third insert shows the everting device solution (white and purple device representing an integral introducer and tracheostomy tube inserted into a pink rubber disc representing the neck tissue):
- is easy to insert, using a syringe-like method, requiring no force or friction on the patient’s tissues;
- provides clean access as no microbes are tracked in, shown on the left side of the first insert;
- does not compromise the airway or bronchoscopic view as no force on the neck tissue is needed for advancement;
- provides one step as the integral introducer and tracheostomy tube are inserted and the introducer easily removed leaving the tracheostomy tube in place.